I'm preaching on The Sinfulness of Sin this weekend in part 6 of our series, Theology Matters. Like every week I am recommending a few books for those at Redeemer who want to continue to developing better understanding of sin, our battle against it and the gospel answer to it. The books below have been very helpful to me over the years.
- Sinfulness of Sin by Ralph Venning. (Very thorough treatment, but broken into small sections)
- Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges (helpful, modern book that focuses on sins we tend to overlook)
- The Mortification of Sin by John Owen (a classic on killing sin in our personal lives)
- Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices by Thomas Brooks (very helpful, practical book on combating sin and temptation)
- Doctrine of Repentance by Thomas Watson (because there is no winning against sin apart from repentance)
- The Cross Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney (because all fighting against sin is in vain apart from the gospel)
Feel free to share any books on sin that have been helpful to you in the comments.