Tattoos: Don't Get One
Obviously I am not anti-tattoo, but neither am I simply "pro-tattoo." In fact, I always attempt to talk people out of getting a tattoo (more on that in a bit).
I believe tattoos are "lawful" for the Christian. It isn't tattoos that are forbidden in Scripture, but pagan tattoos (Lev. 19:26). It's also important to note that this one prohibition is a part of Israel's "civil law" which goverend them as a theocracy. We are no longer bound by such laws that forbid certain foods, clothes, and prescribe specific grooming habits. Ultimately scripture neither presents the idea that tattoos somehow harm the temple of God (our body) or dishonor God. In fact, God uses the idea of a tattoo favorably when he speaks of his remembrance of his people.
However, while tattoos are permissible it is not always wise to get one. In fact there are a number of questions one needs to work through when considering tattoos. Just a few of them are:
Can I do this with a clear conscience, in faith, and honor the Lord? (If not you should not get a tattoo.) Will tattoos create an unecessary barrier to my ministry? What does my spouse think?
When people, especially young people, start talking to me about tattoos I try to talk them out of it. I figure if I can talk them out of it they really have no business getting one. If they are set on getting one I then counsel them in the best ways to move forward (see upcoming post). Here are my top 10 reasons to not get a tattoo.
Top Ten Reasons Not to Get a Tattoo
10. It's mainstream and unoriginal. Everyone has them, why follow the trend?
09. It stinkin' hurts.
08. You might regret what you get, what size it is, or where it was placed.
07. It could turn out bad. I mean really bad. You have no idea how many people pay a lot of money for what turns out to be a very ugly (or misspelled) tattoo.
06. It's expensive, can you really justify the cost?
05. It will draw attention. If you don't like people staring at you this could be a bad decision. If you do like people staring at you there are some heart issues that need to be dealt with. No tattoo for you.
04. You will be judged. Even though tattoos are mainstream and broadly accepted, you will still encounter people who think less of you for the ink.
03. It's permanent. If you want to "say something" why not go for a cool t-shirt?
02. Tattoo removal is expensive and painful, and may not work.
01. It stinkin' hurts. That's right, I'm saying it twice.